Merits of Polyurethane Tube in a Pneumatic System
A pneumatic system is made of smaller parts like cylinders, fittings, valves and tubes/hose that are put together forms a bigger structure. Pneumatic tubes are usually available in different varieties like polyethylene tube, nylon tube, polyurethane tubes and coil hose. The pneumatic requirement of a structure will determine the type of material that will be selected for application in that pneumatic system.
Polyurethane tubes are versatile thermoplastics or elastomers that are used in a variety of applications, forming different shapes & sizes and are widely used in pneumatic applications that require extreme flexing, small band radius or where tangling or kinking can be a problem. Often abbreviated as PU or PUR, it can sometimes have a very low permeability but are usually very strong.
PU tubes is one of the most essential component required for a pneumatic system to function efficiently. In a pneumatic system, PU tubes are generally used to convey pressurized air to/through valves, power tools, medical devices, belt drive, etc. The fact that PU tubes possess both the properties of rubber and plastic give room for it to be used within tough working temperature range of -20oC to 70oC. The size of a PU tube can be specified using its “inner and outer diameter.”
PU tubes that are commonly used in pneumatic application are usually available for selection in a variety of colours, like; Black, Blue, Transparent, Orange, Red, Yellow, Green, etc. Its dual mechanical property provides an opportunity to isolate and manipulate its material structure, thereby providing options for custom made specification & sizes in order to solve certain issues related to performance characteristics and are available in the following sizes (In metric – Outer Diameter): 4mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm and 16m (In inches – Outer Diameter: ¼”, 3/8”, ½”)
Advantages of PU Tubes
- Its wide range of hardness presents an opportunity that allows it to be used in the pneumatic system without replacement for a very long time.
- It has high flexibility (optimal bend radius) which allows it to be used in high stress application.
- It has high impact resistance which makes it an ideal solution to situation where severe wear is a challenge.
- It’s highly resistive to tear and also has a high tensile strength. Thus, providing optimal longevity when subjected to shock or sudden stretching.
- It has a good electronic insulating property.
- It’s cheap to buy and easy to maintain.
- It has an unsurpassed abrasive resistivity for a single layer tubing.
- Compared to other tubes, it has a superior vacuum capability due to its surface hardness.
- PU tubes do not support the growth of fungi or mold and are therefore highly compatible or suited for pneumatic application that require a high degree of sanitary (eg. drug manufacturing).
Are you looking for Pneumatic Polyurethane Tube (PU)? Get in touch with us today.
Other Related Articles:
No. 2749, Ground Floor, Jalan Chain Ferry, Taman Inderawasih, 13600, Perai, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Tel: +604-380 1277
Tel: +604-380 1278
Fax: +604-380 1279